'Debt of Bones' by Terry Goodkind


I found Legend of the Seeker on Hulu Plus and gave it a try. The slightest hints of humor got me to keep watching (the old naked man with the chicken was too weird NOT to keep watching). Then I found out this TV series was based on books.

I went to the library and found Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0) by Terry Goodkind, which is a prequel to the Sword of Truth series that the TV show is based on.


Unfortunately, Debt of Bones didn't impress me. It actually read a teensy bit...juvenile in one sense, despite the gore that I really didn't appreciate. I'm one of those people that keeps reading even if I don't like something. (Thank God I did because one absolutely despicable part was explained satisfactorily.) This is a small book and a quick read and in this case, that's a wonderful thing.

I like the show (which I've heard didn't follow the novels enough for some fans) but I just did not like Debt of Bones; not the writing or the gore or the story. I did like the characters in the book. Except for the main character. I found her single-minded and irritating. She did carry the story forward, though, which usually doesn't happen when the main character is so annoying.

I was all set to read Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) but after Debt of Bones, I brought it back to the library and got some cozy mysteries instead.

I will say that I've since read other reviews of Debt of Bones (far be it from me to stomp on a beloved author) and a big chunk of diehard fans of the Sword of Truth series and of Terry Goodkind didn't even like it. Some said it doesn't do the Sword of Truth justice.

Knowing that gives me hope. I'll probably get Wizard's First Rule again someday. Not anytime soon, though. There are just so many other books out there, waiting to be read!