Saturday, June 4, 2011

Of Treasure & Plans

I never really knew how superstitious I was until I came across the Agra Treasure for sale.

If you will recall, the Agra Treasure is from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and The Sign Of Four.

 The Sherlock Holmes Society of London is selling the Agra Treasure in the form of a brooch made to order and individually finished with jewels mentioned in The Sign Of Four.

That is a collectible totally up my alley and yet, I will never buy it.

It's cool.

It's from London.

It's unique.

And it's cursed.

In fact, it is so cursed that one when character loses it, Watson's life takes a turn for the better!

That's pretty darn cursed in my book. (And Doyle's, evidently.)

So I must pass on this really cool piece of physical fictional history.

Maybe I'll put my bid in for those pesky Bruce-Partington Plans...

6 comments:

Hannah Young said...

Oh my goodness I love Sherlock Holmes SO MUCH! Honestly, I haven't even finished all of Doyle's stories because I'm afraid of how sad I'll be when I'm done. I just finished the Bruce Partington Plans...

Hannah said...

Also, I accidentally clicked "enter" before I was done. I am book-literate, but not computer-literate :( Anyway, I don't blame you. I wouldn't buy a cursed treasure either but let me know if you manage to get your hands on those submarine plans. I'd like in on that action.

Live Out Loud said...

Hannah - I know exactly what you mean about finishing all of Doyle's 'Sherlock Holmes' but you have to! I just finished the entire collection on Monday - Monday! For weeks I was thinking I'm going to go into withdrawl so I picked up a non-Doyle 'Sherlock Holmes' and am reading that now. (It doesn't really compare...)

There are so many TV shows, movies and fan fiction out there that Holmes and Watson will live forever! It won't be Doyle but I'll take what I can get.

As for your second comment - yeah, I wrote a whole response (like this one) and hit something on the keyboard and it all disappeared so, I'm not computer-literate either!!!!

Keep reading Doyle! Now that I've read all his 'Holmes' and know everything, I'm going to reread them in my own order and pick out my favorites and non-favorites.

That's going to be fun. I'll be waiting to hear how you're coming along...

Hannah said...

Have you read the Holmes series by Laurie R. King? Possibly some of my most favorite books.

Live Out Loud said...

Oooh, I'll have to check that out.

Au and Target said...

I like SH except for some of the short stores that are just too mawkish!