Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday 56 - Murder of Roger Ackroyd



This is a cool weekly meme from Story Time With Tonya.

1. Grab the book nearest you right now.
2. Turn to page 56.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like).
5. Post a link with your post to Storytime with Tonya and Friends.

And remember - no spoilers. We want to share books and suggest books - not spoil books!

"No suspicious strangers been hanging about anywhere?"
"Oh!" I said suddenly.
"What is it doctor?"
"I met a man this evening - just as I was turning out the gate."

Cool, huh? Right in the middle of an interview to collect evidence?
Perfect 56!!

Jennifer Oberth's Overview:

     Agatha Christie's done it again! She's brilliant. I love her books. I prefer character-heavy, character-driven books and Agatha Christie provides neither but her plots are so well written I don't miss anything.


     This particular entry is the first Hercule Poirot. The way he is introduced to us is priceless. (You'll have to read the book, or reread if you don't remember, `cause I'm not telling you!)


     Clues are there as you go along and you see some, not others. The minute you form an opinion, something knocks you in another direction.


     The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is suspenseful, driven and brilliant.

11 comments:

Amy Durham said...

Cool to see an F56 with a classic author!

Here's mine:
http://amy-durham.blogspot.com/

Darlyn said...

Yeah, very. I have to admit I have not read any of Agatha Christie. =(

Live Out Loud said...

Yes, Amy - absolutely!!

Darlyn - you've got to try her! This is a great book to start with...

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

O I love Agatha. I never tire of her work. Great one!

Here is my F56 :)

Bonnie said...

I just came across a bunch of Agatha Christie books at the Friends of the Library. Unfortunately, they weren't in the best of shape or I might have picked one up. Oh well, if they are still there tomorrow, I may!

~Bonnie

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This one sounds good...I've been wanting to read Agatha Christie.

Here's mine:

Click my name for URL

Guarded By An Angel said...

I havent read any of Agatha Christies books, My Mother is a big fan though.

I have nearly finished the book I am reading now so I might go and see if she has a this one in her collection.

Live Out Loud said...

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com - Absolutely! She's great!

Bonnie - let me know if you picked one up

Laurel-Rain Snow & Guarded By An Angel - go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said...

He must have been suspicious!

Life Ramblings said...

i don't remember reading this book but i bet the story is captivating up to the very end.

Live Out Loud said...

Sweet Vernal Zephyr - Yes!

Life Ramblings - Absolutely, yes. It's worth reading even if you have before.