Monday Musings - Reference Material

Thanks for Rebecca's blog 'Just One More Page' for Monday Musings...


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a reference material.
Do you keep reference books on your shelves at home? What’s your first port of call when you need information – the internet or a book?
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks.


I have reference books on writing mysteries, publishing, alternative medicine and cooking. I used to go to those books for any information but now I go online for pretty much everything.

Of course, I triple-check (or more) any information I find online. I like online sources because they're the most up-to-date and/or I love to read what people have to say.

I can read a reference book about a cure for allergies for example but online, I can find a forum of people's actual experiences with something.

There's a certain human element, human interaction you can't get from a (non-fiction) book.

The thing I despise about online, is when you need that specific piece of information I just can't seem to find it!

In a reference book, you can go to the index and find the section that would have the information.

Online, I can google 'origin of padded room' and get 'the origin of yodeling'.

Go figure.