Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday Musings - Keeping Books

Thanks for Rebecca's blog 'Just One More Page' for Monday Musings...



Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a keeping books.

Do you keep all the books you ever buy? Just the ones you love? Just collectibles? What do you do with the ones you don’t want to keep?

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT with either the link to your own Musing Mondays post, or share your opinion in a comment here (if you don’t have a blog). Thanks.


I've kept most books I've ever bought.

When I junk out, I just can't let go of books. When I was a kid, I was born into books - Mom had every Agatha Christie, Nero Wolfe and Dick Francis book not to mention dozens of other series or sets.

I was maybe a teenager when I found out I could actually take out 30 books on my library card - not the number Mom told my sister and me while she'd walk out with like sixty books every three weeks!

The books that I got as gifts were very special to me because they were mine - I could read them as many times as I wanted and never had to return them to anyone. Growing up, we didn’t have much money but there was always money for books. Whenever I asked for a book, my parents bought it for me. I’d feel a little guilty so started asking for them for Christmas and Birthdays. (I’d argue with myself that I don’t need to own a book when this city has such a fantastic library system. But I loved my little collections.)

When I got older, I realized how powerful a gift it was to pass a book on to another human being.

I love buying used books because I always imagine their history - who read it before me? What did they think of it?

I love buying new books because they're mine and I if/when I pass them on, I know how that book's history started. (Am I being corny again? Probably.)

Books and Paperwork. My nemesis when junking out because I can't seem to get rid of any of those piles.

Paperwork I'm beginning to master.

Books will always master me...

9 comments:

Lori said...

I keep my books. Here's Mine.

Elena said...

I agree, I could never give away or sell my books. The only exception is with a book I'm never going to read again, I would give it to someone who was interested in reading it.
30 books?! That's awesome! I can only take out 20 on my library card. Also, a massive fine has scared me out of going back there...

Live Out Loud said...

Elana - I had to use my Mom's card a couple days ago and she had six bucks in fines!! (Which is nothing compared to how much she used to rack them up!)

Lori - I know what you mean about keeping books you even know you're never going to read. It's hard to let go and the thought of throwing a book out (even when I've dropped it in mud and muck) seems like blasphemy! But it is a true gift to give up a book to someone who could benefit - and it's freeing...

Kayleigh said...

I love that phrase, "Books will always master me". I'm an avid collector, chronic re-reader and have been a member of my local library since I was nine months old! I don't think I could ever give up my habit :)

Live Out Loud said...

Awesome, Kayleigh! Nine months old - that is so cool.

Helen said...

I can only borrow 20 books from my library, but that's enough for me as I'm not the fastest reader in the world. I know what you mean about still wanting to own books despite having a good library system - there have been times when I've borrowed a book from the library and loved it so much I ended up buying my own copy.

Thanks for visiting my blog, by the way. :)

avocadoandlemon said...

Hi there! Thanks for your comment avocadoandlemon.

I always keep my books, even if they are a bit crappy. Occasionally I think I should give a few away, but I never get around to it. I even have multiple copies of the same book! Silly really.

Not sure how many I can get out on my library card. I have a cousin who works at the library occasionally. Strangely, I've never had a late fee at that library ;)

Live Out Loud said...

avacadoandlemon - oooh! No late fees!! That would be so cool. (It's awesome to have friends in high places...)

I don't think it's silly to have multiple copies of the same book - and I don't just say that because I, too have multiple copies of the same books. Well, maybe that's why I say it's not silly.

Sometimes, that's the only way I'll lend or give up a book - if I have a second copy to comfort me from the loss! (Now THAT'S Silly!!)

Kayleigh said...

I know, my mother keeps saying that my library membership is the reason I'm so obsessed with books now that I'm older!

Your post on my blog made me laugh - almost as if you hide your books so you can rediscover them later and restore them to a position of status. Us book hoarders have such strange habits :)